What is the L1 Compact system?
The L1 Compact is our smallest and most portable L1 system for audiences of up to 100. Carry it in one trip. Set it up in one minute. Fill the room with one system.
What makes the L1 Compact portable line array system different from other L1 portable line array systems?
The L1 Compact portable line array system is our most portable L1 system and can be carried in a single trip. Its interlocking components eliminate the need for speaker wires, allowing the system to be set up in less than a minute. It combines PA and monitors into a single loudspeaker system, produces exceptionally wide horizontal sound coverage and features integrated ToneMatch signal processing. Bose engineers have designed the user interface to be intuitive enough for the lay person, yet with the right features for demanding musicians.
Additionally, the L1 Compact system is the only L1 portable line array system that can be set up in two unique positions to accommodate different uses:
- Extended position: Recommended for larger audiences, the extended position allows users to elevate the L1 Compact loudspeaker array, enabling it to project sound clearly and evenly throughout larger venues. Included with the L1 Compact system are two interlocking extensions used to elevate the array. The extended position is well-suited for applications such as musical performances and DJ events, or for providing voice lift for larger gatherings
- Collapsed position: Recommended for smaller audiences, the collapsed position allows the L1 Compact loudspeaker array to be inserted in the front of the power stand, creating a very small profile. When used in this position, the system should be placed on a table or elevated stage. This will allow sound to project clearly and evenly throughout the room. The collapsed position is well-suited for applications such as intimate acoustic performances, presentations, speeches or music playback
How do I set up the system in the extended position?
- Slide the loudspeaker array up and out of the power stand, and temporarily lay it aside
- Align the plug on the bottom of one of the extensions with the socket on the power stand
Note: The two L1 Compact extensions are identical; either one can be used on the top or bottom
- Insert the L1 Compact extensions into the power stand. Be sure to fully insert the bottom extension. This will complete the audio connection and ensure stability
- Align and connect the remaining extension, pushing it firmly into place
- Align and connect the L1 Compact loudspeaker array, pushing it firmly into place
What is the optimal placement when using the L1 Compact system in the collapsed position?
The collapsed position is typically reserved for smaller rooms. When the system is in the collapsed position, we suggest placing it on a table so that sound projects throughout the audience. The system can be placed behind the performer or presenter, or just off to the side. Although sound will bend around obstructions, for best results there should be a few feet between the performer and the system when it is positioned behind the performer.
What is Spatial Dispersion loudspeaker technology?
Spatial Dispersion loudspeaker technology, only available from Bose, features an arrangement of drivers in the loudspeaker array that enable the system to fill an entire room with clear, powerful, tonally balanced sound from a single loudspeaker system. Sound remains consistent even at the extreme sides of the system.
Given its smaller size, does the L1 Compact system project sound as far as larger L1 systems?
The L1 Compact loudspeaker array system produces horizontal coverage that is comparable to that produced by the larger L1 Model 1 S or L1 Model II systems. Longer line arrays, such as those found in the L1 Model 1 S and Model II systems, can project sound farther with less drop-off of sound levels than the smaller array found in the L1 Compact system.
Is the L1 Compact system designed for mobile DJ use?
Yes. The enhanced portability, easy setup and professional sound quality of the L1 Compact system make it suitable for a variety of applications in which a conventional PA system could be used: for example, DJ events, community and athletic events, business presentations, or wherever high-performance and easy-to-use sound amplification are needed. The L1 Compact system features stereo RCA, stereo 1/8" and 1/4" inputs for connecting a DJ mixer, laptop, or MP3 or CD player. When making announcements, simply plug a dynamic handheld microphone into the Channel I Microphone input. Two L1 Compact systems are recommended for DJ applications to help reproduce stereo sound. Additionally, a single L1 Compact system can be conveniently used as a satellite system for larger DJ events.
What are the benefits of the integrated ToneMatch system processing?
Imagine that a skilled studio engineer listened to the sound of your acoustic guitar or dynamic handheld microphone being played through an L1 system, made a series of equalization adjustments to optimize the sound, and then saved those changes as a preset that could be instantly recalled at the touch of a button on any stage in the world … that's the power of ToneMatch signal processing.
- Channel I—This microphone input features a ToneMatch preset that has been optimized for use with a dynamic handheld microphone. Simply connect a microphone and the preset is automatically engaged.
- Channel 2—Features a ToneMatch preset designed specifically for use with an acoustic guitar. Connect your acoustic guitar to the 1/4" input and place the ToneMatch preset switch in the “Acoustic Guitar ToneMatch” or upward position to engage the preset.
Note: This switch only engages a ToneMatch preset for the acoustic guitar; all other sources connected to Channel 2 remain unaffected.
How many channels does the L1 Compact system have?
The system has two channels that support a wide variety of uses:
- Microphone input—This input is designed for use only with a dynamic handheld microphone, as it features a ToneMatch preset that has been optimized for use with this type of microphone. Simply plug in and the preset is automatically engaged, adding clarity and definition to vocals
- 1/8" stereo input—Balanced analog input for connecting MP3 players, laptop computers, satellite radio, smart boards, video projectors or any other device with a line-level audio output
- RCA stereo input—Line level analog input for connecting a DVD/CD player, VCR, DJ mixer or smart board
- 1/4" instrument input—Accepts either a balanced or unbalanced cable used for connecting instruments such as keyboards and guitars. This input contains a customized ToneMatch preset developed specifically for use with an acoustic guitar. To engage the preset, make sure the ToneMatch preset switch is in the upward position. If connecting an instrument other than an acoustic guitar, position the ToneMatch preset switch in the downward position
Note: All three inputs on Channel 2 can be utilized simultaneously. The overall level of Channel 2 is controllable via the Channel 2 volume control. To increase the level of a particular source, the user must make adjustments on the individual source device.
Does the L1 Compact system have audio outputs?
Yes. The L1 Compact power stand features two audio outputs:
- RCA record output (unbalanced)—This output passes the same mono audio signal out of each connector and can be used to connect to an external recording device
- 1/4" output (balanced or unbalanced)—Connect this mono output into the Channel II ¼" input on a second L1 portable line array system. You can daisy chain multiple systems together for use in larger or separate rooms
Is the T1 ToneMatch audio engine compatible with the L1 Compact system?
Yes. However, please note that the optional T1 ToneMatch audio engine power supply is required for operation. For musical performances that require access to our most advanced tone-shaping library, a full suite of studio quality effects, dynamics processing, and expanded inputs and outputs, the T1 ToneMatch audio engine is the recommended choice.
To use the T1 ToneMatch audio engine with the L1 Compact system, simply connect the master output of the T1 ToneMatch audio engine’s 1/4" output to the ¼” input on Channel II of the L1 Compact system. Adjust the master level of the T1 ToneMatch audio engine to at least at 50% and adjust the L1 Compact system’s Channel 2 volume level to the desired level.
Can each member of a band or ensemble use their own L1 Compact system?
How can I take advantage of instruments or devices that deliver stereo output?
A single L1 Compact system can combine the two channels and fill the venue with one speaker. For instruments or recorded material that require stereo reproduction, two L1 Compact systems can be used to deliver stereo sound.
How are you able to obtain such a high level of performance from a smaller system?
Great care was taken in the design process to ensure that all the speakers and electronics perform as one integrated system. This allows the L1 Compact system to be extremely efficient and maximize its acoustical output while maintaining its small profile.
Can the L1 Compact system be used outdoors?
Yes. The system can be used inside or out. But it must never be exposed to precipitation or extended periods of direct sunlight.
Can I connect an external subwoofer—such as the Bose B1 bass module—to the L1 Compact system?
No. The bass module is integrated into the L1 Compact system. The system does not support additional bass modules.
Where should the L1 Compact system be positioned on stage?
System placement requirements for the L1 Compact system are flexible. For optimal sound for both audience and performer, position the system directly behind—or behind and slightly off to one side of—the performer.
In what voltage is the L1 Compact system available?
The L1 Compact system features a switching power supply that allows it to operate in regions ranging from 100 V – 240 V. The proper power cord for the specific region in which the system was purchased is included in the product carton.
What is the warranty period on the L1 Compact system?
The L1 Compact power stand has a two-year limited warranty. The L1 Compact loudspeaker array and L1 Compact extensions have a five-year limited warranty. The warranty is transferable with the product, even if the ownership changes.
Can the L1 Compact system be used with the L1 Model I S or Model II system?
Yes. All L1 systems can share the same stage. The L1 Model I S and L1 Model II systems have longer line arrays than the L1 Compact system and can project sound farther with less drop-off of sound levels than the smaller array found on the L1 Compact system.
Where can I purchase L1 Compact systems in the United States?
You can purchase L1 Compact systems directly from Bose through one of the following methods:
- Call our Sales Solutions Team at 800-444-2673
- Purchase on the web at Bose.com.
- Visit select Bose Stores that carry the L1 system.
All Bose direct purchases include a 45-day Better Music Guarantee. This means you can test any L1 Compact system in your own environment and return it for a credit within 45 days of purchase. You are only responsible for the return shipping to Bose.
You can also purchase L1 Compact systems at Bose authorized resellers, such as:
- Guitar Center
- Musician’s Friend
- American Musical Supply
- Specialty dealers
Where can I collaborate with Bose staff and existing owners to learn more about how the L1 system can work for my specific application?
We host a public forum that allows our helpful user community to share their experiences and collaborate in real time on topics that are important to them. You will find extensive, application-specific documentation and helpful hints. The forum is fully searchable and can be accessed at http://bose.infopop.cc.
You may also contact our product support team and speak with our knowledgeable staff of musicians. They may be reached at 877-335-2673.